Saturday, March 31, 2012

Being Prepared

So, last night I was met with a situation and I wasn't prepared.  Someone I work with retired and there was a big department party for her.  (If it sounds like there is ALWAYS junk food everywhere where I work, it's because there is!)  Anyways, in the break room, on the table, was a HUGE cake, tons of bread, chips, a huge tray of veggies and dip, a huge tray of fruit, and the fridge was packed with different salads, then on another counter were all sorts of dips and whatnot (I really didn't go back there to see the counter).  Everything was just fine with me.  I didn't really feel tempted.  THEN before supper a gal I work with brings out these apples that she made herself.  They were dipped in caramel and chocolate.  She cut it up and handed me 1/4 of it.... like "here ya go".  So... I had it in my hands.  I literally had it in my palm and stared at it for probably a full minute.  I hadn't had supper so I got up and went to the break room.  I started making supper and still didn't know what to do with the apple.  I wanted to eat it but at the same time, I didn't.  I did not want to hurt the feelings of the gal that made them.  Also, she's kinda a brash lady so I usually try my best not to have any kind of weird situations with her.  I usually just agree and move on.  She's the "I'm right and that's the way it is" type of lady.  I was worried about her reaction if I didn't eat it.  I know this sounds stupid.  So, here I am in the break room.  I had a few pieces from the veggie tray (broccoli and cauliflower).  Then I decided that I'd go weigh myself.  I thought that I'd show myself that I'm losing and that would help me be strong.  Jumped on and it hasn't moved since Wednesday (2 days ago).  Shoot.  I thought I'd wrap it up and take it home to my kids and just tell her that it was good.  Lying?  No.  So, what did I do?  I cut it up in to little slivers and ate it.  I did.  I'm telling myself to just move on.  All of the temptations I've had so far were easy because I didn't give myself the option that it was a possibility.  This time, it was right in my hands and it was a possibility and I didn't know what to do.  Later last night I talked to my friend Brittni.  She said that what she does in that situation is she says shes going to save it for later and then either throws it away or takes it home for family.  Darn.  Why didn't I think of that?!  I will be more prepared for all types of situations.  Like next Saturday, I am going to a birthday party for my father in law.  Jeremy has a big family and I know there will be a ton of food there.  Also, next Sunday is Easter.  I'm going to my mom and luckily she's not the type to make a huge deal out of the food.  Phew!  I actually just talked to her and she said that we'd probably just grill.  YES!  Then we have plans to work around the farm!  We always end up doing something like that on Easter... and it's nice.  This morning I got a great idea about Easter eggs.  I'm going to put quarters in the eggs maybe a dollar here and there for a surprise!  To tell you the truth, I've always gone overboard with the Easter candy anyways.  Usually the kids don't eat it.  Their Easter baskets still had eggs that still had candy in them!  That's wasteful.  Well, the kids are excited to go.  We are going to a friends house and they have a new baby!  ...guess what?!  I'm going to be the Godmother!!  I'm so excited!!

Edited: I was thinking... I remember thinking after I ate the piece of caramel apple that I might as well try the cake, too.  Success there because I stayed away from everything else!  Little Victory! :)

1 comment:

  1. Good stopping yourself after you ate the carmel apple! What an experience! That would be so hard!

    But I love how you're learning from it and moving on! It's all about being prepared. Prepared in what to eat and what to say when you are bombarded with off plan food.

    I hope you have a great ON PLAN Easter Weekend :)

    Take care,
    ~Margene

    ReplyDelete