Saturday, January 19, 2013

Pregnancy Weight Gain

After stopping Take Shape for Life, I kinda went out of control and so did my body.  I immediately gained about 10 lbs and then continued to put some weight back on.  I did not go through the transition the program has set in place.  This weight gain I am going to call my "pre-pregnancy weight gain".  This weight I am not going to worry about until after this baby comes and I can get to work on getting rid of it.

I will consider my "pregnancy weight gain" the weight I gain from my first Dr.'s appointment to my delivery or last Dr.'s appointment.  According to the pregnancy book I received from my Dr.'s office at my first appointment, "Your Pregnancy Week by Week", the recommended weight gain for an overweight mother-to-be is 15 to 25 pounds.  I am going to work hard to stay in that range.  To help keep track of this, I have set it up on the side area of this blog.  From my first appointment to the second appointment, I actually went down 2 lbs.  My next appointment is in about a week and a half.  We will see what the scale says then, I will be 18 weeks 5 days at that appointment.

Worst weight gain for me was when I was pregnant with my oldest.  I was in college and lived on campus.  Our cafeteria on campus was buffet style, you pay for a meal then eat whatever you want.  Let me tell you, I took full advantage of it.  I also went out to eat, ate at Panera Bread at least once a week, went through the drive thru at Taco Bell and Burger King all the time.  The sad thing is, during my pregnancy, I also had a part time job at a gym, with a free membership.  I never took advantage of the membership after I got pregnant.  I gained about 80 pounds during that pregnancy.  Some of that was water weight, I had so much edema!

I was a little more cautious about gaining too much weight when I got pregnant with the twins.  I gained about 35 pounds during my pregnancy with them.  What sticks out in my mind is when they tried putting in my spinal for the C-section.  He had such a hard time.  Partially because I couldn't bend over my humongous belly, but a lot of the reason (which he clearly pointed out) was because he had a lot of tissue to try to work through.  It was a really painful process.  A lot of the reason I don't want to gain much weight this time is because I want that process to go more smoothly.

2 comments:

  1. OMG I am so glad I am not the only one with a botched spinal. I mean, I am not glad you had to endure it but I am glad I am not alone. With my youngest it took the guy 25 different needles (not including numbing needles) to place my spinal and in the process he hit a nerve that made my thigh feel as though acid had been poured all over the skin. It was terrible. I had a bruised the size of my palm for months in the space and to this day (3.5 years later) my back is still sensitive. Will you have a section with this baby? I pray for a much easier spinal if that is the case. That is the only reason I never wanted to have a baby again was for fear of the spinal. Yay for 2 lbs down! That is impressive. I gained 72lbs with my first and 65 with my second. Go YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, aside from being prego, that college story could have been mine! Girl, I had down all the fast food stops and I could (and did) go to town in the cafeteria(s). I worked at the Y as a swim instructor and lifeguard. Did I EVER workout there besides the occassional swim after my classes/shift ended? HELL NO! I actually frequent this Y today for Pilates and sometimes to swim (their indoor pool is way to hot tho!), which is the funny thing that I use it now that I'm paying for it!

    Getting close to half way in your pregnancy...yay! I'm glad you are being mindful about your body without obsessing, it is something we can all aspire to.

    ReplyDelete